|Microsurgery: Transplantation and Replantation by Harry J. Buncke, MD, et al.|
The director of our microsurgical laboratory directs a 5- to 10-day course available to all fellows coming to our unit as well as any other physician wishing microsurgical training. The course includes work in small animal models and preserved vessel models, as well as review of video tapes, and is tailored to the needs and progress of each student.
The laboratory also supports two to four research fellows and ongoing research projects which have recently included studies of muscle transfer in rats,9,10 revascularization,11-14 leech bacteriology,15 techniques of epididymostomy, monitoring models, flap innervation, bone grafting in expanders' capsules, and anatomic studies of flap technique.6 There is constant interchange between the clinical service and the laboratory, and ideas and techniques are freely passed back and forth. Video equipment is available for the recording and study of special cases, as well as for experimental techniques (e.g., facial paralysis).
Our center has an extremely gifted librarian who, besides keeping a core of necessary texts and journals, is constantly pursuing literature searches and acquiring necessary reprints.
1. Tupper, J.: Can replantation be done by a single surgeon? In Microsurgery for Major Limb Reconstruction. Edited by J. Urbaniak, St. Louis, C.V. Mosby, 1987, p. 54.
2. Cassel, J., Buncke, H.J., Alpert, B.S., and Gordon, L.: Replantation of amputated parts. In Essentials of Plastic, Maxillofacial, and Reconstructive Surgery. Edited by N. Georgiade, et al., Baltimore, Williams and Wilkins, 1987, p. 915.
3. Lineaweaver, W., Anderson, K., and Hing, D.: Massive doses of midazolam infusion for delirium tremens. Crit. Care Med. 16:294, 1988.
4. Buncke, H.J.: Microsurgery-retrospective. Clin. Plast. Surg. 13:315, 1986.
5. Alpert, B., Lineaweaver, W., and Buncke, H.J.: Surgical treatment of the totally avulsed scalp. In Hair Transplantation. Edited by W.P. Unger, New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc., 1988, p. 723.
6. Coleman, S., Buncke, H.J., Hing, D., et al.: Reconstruction of the mandible with vascularized calvarial bone grafts. Surg. Forum 36:556, 1985.
|Ch. 29 Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6|